Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Labor Day and a Very Proud Moment

Not all has been bad regarding this extended southern visit. Labor Day weekend was a real treat. I had 5 days and 4 nights in a little, secluded Texas escape where you can be certain to have a good time and beat the typical Texas heat....the Davis Mountains of West Texas! The Thursday before the weekend found me packed up with horses and dogs in tow and west bound.

This time I forewent my usual stop at Big Bend Saddlery. I bought enough gear last time so there really wasn't a need to torture myself with everything in the store that I want, but can't afford or even justify buying. I did stop at the feed store/western wear place and got a new hat, which I am in love with. Turquoise is my new thing...anything turquoise. I got to the highway gate to the ranch in the midst of a deluge of rain. I could see several large puddles down the first part of the road and thought they didn't look too terrible. So, I went on as soon as the rain stopped enough for me to open the gate. Well, what I couldn't see from the highway was the troublesome spot in the road that was just beyond the first curve in the road. A West Texas crevasse had formed in the middle and right side of the road where my tire would have to go. I put the truck in 4-wheel drive as I approached and made it through, luckily. My girlfriends who arrived a couple horse later weren't so lucky. One of them ended up getting stuck just beyond that point in some nasty mud. They had to unload a couple of horses and then managed to make it through.

The weekend was a blast. High's in the 70's and 80's and it was downright chilly from sunset almost until mid-morning. I was loving it. It was the first relief I had from the stifling Texas heat and humidity. We rode horses, enjoyed our usual margaritas, sang a little karaoke, watched some amazing sunsets, ate LOTS of good food, and enjoyed great company. To push the weekend fun over the edge, there were even some airplanes involved.

My biggest thrill of the weekend and altogether of late, was when I took Bailey on our first real trail ride. Four of us went out together and of the 4 horses she was the youngest and greenest. Amazingly, yet not surprisingly, she was the best behaved and a true pleasure to ride that afternoon. She wasn't worried one bit when the other horses trotted ahead or became anxious. She wasn't at all spooky. She was quiet. She walked with her head down, relaxed. She handled the rocky terrain very well. Even when her big brother Scout was acting like a ball of nerves, prancing around, jigging, grinding his teeth...Bailey was a perfect little girl. Definitely a proud moment. I felt like I was living the dream. To ride a horse that I have worked so hard to do right by and have her be so nice. It was a very moving experience for me and I recall telling the husband that I felt a great sense of accomplishment. I think he was a bit proud of us too. It was worth every bit of trouble spent trailering her down to TX...which wasn't much.

All in all, a top weekend in my books. Bailey is such a well-traveled little horse and our West Texas weekend proves she is all the better for it.

Bailey's spunky half-sister, Anna...priceless shot of her tail straight in the air.


Anna and Bailey getting acquainted.


Playing at liberty with my kids...got Scout hooked on first, then Bailey.


I think this was the first time I have played like this with two horses at once.


The husband on Scout.


The hubby's current hero is Theodore Roosevelt, an amazing horseman who rarely went a day without being in the saddle...the hubby rode off while the rest of us were getting ready for the trail ride and the next time I saw him he was up on the side of the mountain doing his "TR thing". We hope to be on the look-out in the next couple years for his "Rough Rider Horse"...one that TR would describe as being a "good, stout pony one can shoot a gun off of".


West Texas sunset


Riding Bailey in the arena


Me and my new hat


Relaxing after our successful trail ride


Me and Logan, one of our 3 adopted mutts.


Getting ready for our trail ride


On the trail..relaxed, low head, good girl


Moving out


Pit stop


Me and the hubby with Mt. Livermore in the background


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oye.. Big Bend Saddlery. That place has sucked more money out of me than I know.

I would love to go out to Livermore someday. Absolutely breathtaking.

Glad Bailey was such a great girl! She sounds like one-of-a-kind.

Lindy said...

MA: So glad to know you are keeping up with us. I heart comments, especially from you.