Thursday, September 23, 2010

Gimme Your Two Cents

The past couple of days Bailey just hasn't quite been herself. Nothing major, but just not 100% her usual self. To be quite honest, I think she is sore. In her back for sure, but maybe elsewhere too. It just so happens that I met the nicest lady at the barn yesterday who is a certified equine sports massage therapist. I am thinking about having her take a look at Bailey. I have never ventured into the world of "alternative or holistic horse health care"...if that is what you even call it. Personally, I have gotten a lot of help from good massage therapists for my own shoulder and neck problems in the past and I can't imagine it wouldn't do the same for a horse. Anyone out there have any thoughts on this idea? Any advice? I am not convinced I should go ahead just yet and I would love to hear how massage has or has not worked for your horses. Feel free to put that two cents in!

Blogger Templates
Blogger Templates

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had very good luck with equine chiro - I used to be a skeptic but have changed my tune - although I prefer a member of the the American Veterinary Chiropractic Association, which means they are are also vets. My chiro, who is coming today for my horses, does a lot of things you would think of as massage as well - applying pressure to release cramps and deep massage. My horses love it and it has made an enormous difference. Many people have also had good experience with plain massage as well.

Good luck, and hope your horse enjoys it!

Lindy said...

Thanks Kate! I am leaning toward giving it shot.

Anonymous said...

I have a friend that has had her gelding done. She said that it worked miracles for him. Also some racehorse friends sent their racehorses to the pony chiropractor. The ponies seemed to feel better after that. But yes I have heard that the pony masseuses work MiRACLES!!!! Go or it!!!

Love ya
Alexis

Oregon Equestrian said...

Go for it! Check around to make sure the individual is reputable, but give it a try. I've seen amazing changes in horses following an adjustment or massage.

Lindy said...

Thanks ladies. I am scheduling her for next week. She works on the high dollar jumping horses at our barn and comes recommended by our vet and his wife who competes in cross-country. Will post about the outcome!