Thursday, July 8, 2010

Home Again

I couldn't wait too long after returning from Montana to get back on Miss Bailey. She was perfect and the hubby was so impressed, he actually considered letting me get another baby, momentarily. That thought was soon followed by thoughts of vet bills, feed bills, 2.5 more tons of hay, and a bigger trailer. So, I will be limited to 3 (+2 in TX) for a little while longer...not to mention that we are still renting and therefore have limited space for all these 4-legged children of ours. There is something to be said for getting a colt or filly and having them started the right way and/or starting them yourself. They have no baggage (problems created by their previous humans). I have 3 other horses who I love dearly, but who all came with a truck-load of baggage. One is dull, one is fractious at times and tries at every turn to outsmart his human to get out of doing any task asked of him, and the third is a former race horse who hates loping and is, to put it lightly, a nervous wreck in unfamiliar situations or on group trail rides (where he apparently feels the need to race the other horses). Bailey has been such a nice change of pace. I love all my kids, but it is sweet to not to have to spend all my time "fixing" Bailey. I am just having so much fun with her.














No comments: