Saturday, April 5, 2008

Patience My Darling...

Yesterday, Miss Bailey learned her first big lesson in patience...how to stand tied.  Tying is a wonderful tool if used correctly.  Tying can teach horses an immense amount of patience (and with that, to manage their emotions) and they can also begin to look at you like their savior of sorts because they realize you are the being that can "set them free".  Usually if a young horse is taught to lead well, tying should be no big deal and since Bailey has been leading and doing everything without me having to pull on her at all, I thought it was time.  So, I haltered her and played with her briefly to get her in the right frame of mind (before I just tied her to a cemented piece of pipe) and I did a quick check on how well she followed the feel of the halter when I moved a little more quickly.  She passed that test with flying colors!!  I didn't tie her hard and fast, but I looped her lead rope over the pipe a couple of times and made sure it was looped on either side of an upright pole, so she couldn't slide down to the right or left.  Looping the rope will ensure that if she does panic, the rope will come unwound from the pole to give her some slack instead of causing her to feel trapped and fight against being solidly tied.  She did so wonderfully, I almost couldn't believe it...but that's how she has done everything up to now, so I don't know why I was surprised in the least.  She stood like a perfect angel.  She did get a teeny bit ancy for a moment, gently tugged at the rope, but only as if to try to figure out if she was really attached and couldn't go anywhere.  Then she just stood.  I was so proud of her!  I am so proud of her...

No comments: