Friday, February 11, 2011

So Many Choices

I am becoming quite unsatisfied with my current horse feed. We have been using this local brand (in TX) for over 3 years. However, as my horses' needs change with age, training levels, local hay quality, etc., I am not seeing the results I once saw with this feed. I hate the idea of having to put every horse on different feed. I like simplicity and I like keeping things natural. Regardless, its time for a change. Also, I am feeding two feed types right now....a combination of sweet feed and an alfalfa based pellet to help them get a little more forage, especially for the senior guys who don't grind their hay like they once did and have a hard time getting what they need from their hay alone. I have researched both Purina and Nutrena brands since I can get them in our area. I am liking the looks of the following: Nutrena's Safe Choice, Purina's Senior for my 31 year old gelding, and Purina's Strategy Healthy Advantage. Has anyone had any luck or disappointments with any of these options?? Any other suggestions?? I have one easy keeper in his prime, 2 youngsters who are moderate keepers and 2 seniors at this point.

Blogger Templates
Blogger Templates

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Take a look at the NSC (non-structural carbs which are quickly absorbed) levels - not on the labels but search on line - Strategy's higher than either Safe Choice or Senior. The easy keeper may not need any grain at all, just a vitamin/mineral balancer pellet. A number of the horses in our barn are in fairly regular work and need no supplemental grain at all - just access to good quality free-choice grass hay. Seniors with bad dentition do well with soaked beet pulp or hay cubes. None of our horses get sweet feed, which is suitable (if at all) only for performance horses in very heavy work, and isn't really that great for them - too high in NSCs. For weight gain in all horses, we use Ultimate Finish - it's higher fat and lower NSC. A horse with poor dentition might benefit from Purina Senior which is softer and easier to chew, but if you can soak Ultimate Finish might be a better choice, together with beet pulp and/or hay cubes.

Reddunappy said...

If you want to make it easy, Purina Senior for all of them, the easy keeper may not need any though, but half a cup will not make much of an impact on nutrition but it will satisfy the wheres mine look you get. My 26 year old thrives on Purina senior. An contrary to the senior label it is good for all of them. Thats my keep it simple aproach.

Lindy said...

Thank you both! I used to use beet pulp a lot and had great success with it....might consider going back. Also, I am in agreement with you Kate on the sweet feed. I am not a big fan, but living in a small town in the middle of nowhere, your choices are limited. We will be traveling at least 40 miles just for the new feed choices. :( However, I feel it is worth it. My easy keeper needs a little extra, not much and mainly in the winter. Great info and lots for me to think over.