Monday, January 3, 2011

Birthday Team Sorting

Saturday was my birthday, though I won't mention my age....I hate birthdays. I am not a fan of aging. However, I did talk the hubby into going to a horsey-thing (which is quite difficult for my husband) on my birthday and ONLY because it was my birthday. I have been searching long and far, high and wide for something horse-related that my husband would enjoy doing...so we can do horse things together. He doesn't really care for the training stuff I like to do such as clinics and he gets bored doing trail riding. The most fun I have ever seen him have on a horse was when we had to round up those horses on the neighbor's ranch in West Texas. He truly had a blast and couldn't stop talking about it for a week! He likes things with purpose. Well, here in New Mexico, I have started to meet some other horse people. I recently met the owners of the barn where a friend boards her horses and they told us about a team sorting they were hosting. I have been interested in sorting and penning and wanted to know more about it and find out if it was something that might pique the hubby's interest. So, we went...sans horses, of course. Right away the barn owner introduced himself to my husband and the talk was on. The hubby learned all about how sorting works and then started asking about cow working lessons and roping lessons! I think I have him on board...finally! We stuck around and watched most of the sorting and we are hooked. We were already strategizing for our sorts and can't wait to get our horses back up here and get started. The barn owners are super nice and have offered to help us get our horses started on cows and teach us more about sorting. The husband is buying a rope and wants to learn the basics of roping too. I am hoping this is the answer to my dilemma. Maybe this will finally be the horsey thing the hubby and I can do together. I'll let you know how it goes...


Blogger Templates
Blogger Templates

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It would be fun if you could get your husband interested in horse things you could do together - my husband is completely non-horsey. (and happy birthday!)